Re: recording gear for Papua New Guinea study

Subject: Re: recording gear for Papua New Guinea study
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:18:09 -0000
According to the sound file sampley I found on the website of the
New Guinea Singing Dog Conservation Society, these dogs (as most
dogs) produce relatively low-pitched vocalizations:

http://www.canineworld.com/ngsdcs/sound_files.htm

The fundamental frequency is about 500 Hz with harmonics not
exceeding 5 kHz. As far as I understand, it should be no problem to
approach these domesticated dogs closely. A parabola is therefore
probably not appropriate (due to its high-pass characteristic).

Instead, a Sennheiser K6/ME66 or ME64 is probably sufficient. If
they are interested in the properties of individual vocalizations,
there is no need to use stereo gear (unless they also want to
produce nice recordings for pleasure).

I would agree that a Sony HI-MD recorder is probably the best choice
under these circumstances (limited funds, light-weight, low power
requirements). A compact flash recorder would be even more resistant
against humidity and mud. Depending on the model, a CF card recorder
(e.g. the heavier and more bulky Marantz PMD671) would also allow to
chose a sample rate that fits the bandwidth of the vocalization (I
guess that a sample rate of 16 or 22.05 kHz would be sufficient in
most cases). The mono recording  mode and a low sample rate would
greatly extend recording time that fits onto a single CF card
(factor four at 22.05 kHz, mono compared to 44.1, stereo). However,
there would still be the problem of transferring the CF card
contents onto a mobile harddisk when all available CF cards have
been filled.

Regarding the power-efficiency, one should note that phantom
powering (certainly 48V) is generally wasting a lot of the consumed
energy (converted into heat on the series resistors). A self-powered
microphone as the K6/ME series would therefore be more efficient.

Raimund Specht