Re: mastering for cheap cd players

Subject: Re: mastering for cheap cd players
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:08:38 -0000
Rich, you wrote:

> It could also be a result of using a parabolic on this recording that
> caused the 2nd harmonic to be greater than the first.  I do not see
MD
> as a factor because any defects should be transfered correctly in
> .wav.  What I am seeing is that my little Minidisc outperforms many
> redbook CD players out there.

Well, the parabola itself would also boost the higher harmonics.
However, that effect should apply to the entire recording. As far as I
can see from the spectrogram, the unnatural distortion is only present
at a few loud moments.

Please note that I meant the relatively minor unusual effects in the
original .wav file section and not the more intense effects that occur
at the output of the cheap CD player.

Raimund