Kit guidance needed for a newbie...

Subject: Kit guidance needed for a newbie...
From: "Kevin Wooding" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:40:39 -0000
Hi,

I'm brand new here a bit of a newbie to nature recording, but I'm friends w=
ith
a few recordists who I think subscribe to this group (Hi to you all!). For
some years now I've been intrigued with the work nature recordists do and k=
een
to do some myself.

I'm having a brief visit to a remote part of Costa Rica and thought this wa=
s a
great opportunity, so I need some advice on what to take to get the best
possible results budget wise.

At the moment I have an M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 which I understand is perh=
aps
not as pro as it could be - however I'll try that out as I already have it.=
 Is
there another Compact Flash recorder that might also be good to use? I was
having a look at the Marantz PMD-671 which appeals not least because it tak=
es
ordinary rechargeable batteries. Also the Tascam HD-P2 looks interesting.

Other recording gear ideas?

Microphones - I'm looking at Sennheiser ME66 or 67, the MKH series is a bit
above spending atm. Should I get a preamp to boost the signal? If so, any
ideas appreciated! Any type of mic stand recommended?

I have to bear in mind there is a weight restriction in getting to where I'=
going - all luggage including hand luggage needs to come under 25 lbs.

Thanks all, I look forward to hearing some advice.

Kevin