Re: Tascam HD-P2

Subject: Re: Tascam HD-P2
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:59:53 -0000
The TASCAM HD-P2 shouldn't add any significant noise. According to
my own tests, it's preamp self-noise level is somewhere between that
of the SD722 and the Marantz PMD 671 (and much better than the M-
Audio MicroTrack). I was unable to find any noise differences
between the TASCAM HD-P2 and the SD722 in conjunction with both a
simple dynamic mic (impedance: 500 ohms) and a Rode NT1-A. Even the
preamplifier of the Marantz PMD 671 would be sufficiently quiet for
many (or even most) microphones (see also
http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm).

The HD-P2 seems to be very rugged. Together with the sturdy carrying
case that is enclosed at no additional costs, this recorder should
survive even very rough field use. Because there are no moving
parts, it should also be resistant against shock and humidity.

In my opinion, the HD-P2 is easy to use - at least easier than the
SD722 because there are not so many options to chose (there are also
a few physical switches for important settings such as phantom
power, low cut or limiter).

There are only a few minor drawbacks:

Some of the information that is available on the large LCD display
is very small and might be difficult to read at larger distances.

The unit requires 8 AA-type cells. There is no way to charge the
batteries inside the unit (which would be possible with the Marantz
PMD671 (with a dedicated Marantz NiMH battery) or SD722).

There is still a firmware bug that prevents to use the (large) pre-
recording buffer under certain conditions. Though, there are
acceptable ways to work around this problem.

Regards,
Raimund

derek holzer <> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Steve Cox wrote:
> > If the HD-P2 doesn't introduce any more noise in their preamps
it looks as if I'll have some quiet recordings.