Re: super quiet recordings

Subject: Re: super quiet recordings
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:58:26 -0600
At 12:28 AM +0000 1/3/06, Steve Cox wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>There are many sounds I'd like to capture but one such sound is the
>humming wing sounds
>of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I used to do some nature recording
>in the early 90's with
>DAT but I was dissapointed by noisy pres and mics (as well as
>transport noise) that wound up
>in my recordings. Things have gotten considerably better these days
>with better pres, mics,
>and solid state recording with no machine noise so I'm back and
>ready to dive in again.
>
>I'm looking to purchase the Tascam HD-P2 and a couple of Rode NT1A
>mics (a matched pair
>hopefully).
>
>Before making this investment, does anybody have any comments on a
>quieter setup? Any
>help would be most appreciated. If anybody knows of good places to
>find matched mic pairs
>please do include the information. I'm also curious as to how the
>mics might hold up to air
>moisture, heat, etc.
>
>Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.
>
>Sincerely,
>Steve Cox

Hi Steve-- I saw NT1A's listed in matched pairs in Sweetwater for
$500-- might be a wisely spent $100 more. My only other thought for
very low noise mics would be to try/compare a pair of NT2000's or
NT2-A's. Some dealers will let you do this after you commit to buy
one or the other. Based on what I hear with my NT2A's, the more
costly mics could be a little less "grainy" or have fewer narrow high
frequencies that are exaggerated-- a smoother sound, basically.  The
NT2A or NT2000 would also provide more stereo micing options like
M-S.  The NT2-A is not a great high humidity performer if mine is
typical-- starts hissing and sputtering after a few hours in 100%
humidity.  My high serial number Nt1-A's, on the other hand, seem to
be (knock on wood) as insusceptible to moisture as my mkh 30, 40 &
80-- perhaps less so!  I had a pair of NT1A's out for 6 days
continuously last week under an umbrella in very frequent rain and
freezing rain in temps ranging from 26-35 degrees without a single
lost moment.  Rob D.