Re: which headphone ?

Subject: Re: which headphone ?
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:28:40 -0800
>       I'm willing to buy an headphone to be primarily used in the field to
>monitor while recording. In my opinion the headphone should not
>completely isolate from the external sound...

There are personal preferences on that. Mine is that headphones
should isolate as much as possible, so that you hear only what your
mics are picking up. That's what you need to evaluate and make
decisions on.

I use Shure E3 ear canal phones in custom earmoulds. Both Sony and
Apple make ear canal phones that cost less. I have a pair of Sonys
that have a ridiculous bass boost, but they're still good for field
monitoring. The Apples are only $39, haven't tried them. I suspect
people who report weak bass with the Apples might not understand the
difference between earbuds and ear canal phones. If you hang a canal
phone in your ear without inserting it into the canal you will indeed
get weak bass.

For external phones, the best isolating phones I've experienced yet
are the UltraPhones:

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

-Dan Dugan