New member

Subject: New member
From: "Laurence Goldman" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:44:03 -0000
Hi all,

I'm completely new to field recording. I'm a birder who comes from
professional film editing background. I've done a bit of sound effects and=

music editing in the good old days when film was film and computers were in=

sci-fi books. My initial interest lies in getting started using sound in th=
e field:
IDing vocalizations and calling in birds. I need to assemble complete playl=
ists
of  an area's birds, and have them readily available for field comparison a=
nd
playback. Then I need an introductory recording set-up that allows no-wait=

record and quick playback.  So I have all the usual Q's: which format?,  ar=
e 2
machines necessary? (one for PB, one for recording?)

Any thoughts about using iPod for portable archived playlists in the field?

BTW, there seems to be a dearth of practical  information where experienced=

birders describe their actual sound equipment and set-up and their field
procedures, especially when travelling abroad.

I expect my interests now are a bit off point for the group but I hope as I=

proceed I'll become enamored of the medium and become a recording
enthusiast.

Thanks,

Laurence Goldman