RE: should we change the name of this group to geartalk

Subject: RE: should we change the name of this group to geartalk
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:21:49 +0100
I, too, can get bored with the tech-talk in this group.

When I was young there were people who took a few pictures and then stayed
in the darkroom for the rest of the year, testing papers and developers.
Others took a lot of documentary pictures and didn't care much about the
quality.
Very few combined the two approaches.

The same can be seen among nature sound recordists. Some like recording
birds, others like finding the best equipment. "Making the perfect recordings".

--------------------

In my comprehension, Rob, me and others have done their very best to try to
kill old myths about the need for preamps, for example. Myth's which have
costed a lot of people a lot of money, spending dollars on equipment which
is not needed.
How good is the input amp of a common Hi-MD? That's Rob's question, and I
think it is a very good one.
But it is still controversial and very difficult. Tests made are often
unreliable and have many possible errors.

On top of this, there is a new generation of recorders coming up. Flash
recorders and others.
So, for ones, I think this discussion is relevant also for the "true nature
sound lover" mostly spending his money on travelling and a new tent /
sleeping bag.

The more we can simplify the use of extra equipment, finding
straightforward budget designs, the more such a  person can buy flight
tickets to new and thrilling parts of the world, instead of running about
in hi-fi shops, being a victim of myths and sales people.

Klas.

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01