A Civil Discussion

Subject: A Civil Discussion
From: Scott Connop <>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 08:53:19 -0500
Just a quick note on Mr. Dugan's comments about ad hominems. I kept my
discussion on playback to one of evidence and explanation. For that, I
was discouraged by the list owner from continuing, both on forum by
trying to promote the code of ethics before I had finished presenting my
input and by private email later. His opening phrase was

>Before the playback discussion does more harm than good to our group

My initial emails on playback were intended to address the issue and
avoid anything personal or reactionary. There was nothing in them that
was harmful, implied or otherwise. I believe that our list was poorly
served by unsubstantiated opinions.

The email that expressed my frustration was written after reading his
list message, but my first paragraph mentioned him as list owner and my
last comment reflects the fact that this discussion should have been
allowed to continue, and the list owner, of all people, should have
recognized the way that I was handling the issue. The problem with Mr.
Dugan's comment is that the discussion was civil and useful and now, he
is not going to have his wits sharpened, at least, not from my
perspective, because of a resistance to education from my experience
with playback.

 I have received 4 emails already from folks wishing for me to continue
in the vein that I started, but the posts have become undermined from
above, and, without that support, I am wasting my time. If you valued
the discussion at all, Mr. Dugan, you should write to the moderator. As
a moderator, you must be well aware of the need to allow for both sides
of any issue to be discussed, just as long as the posts are information
based and approached respectfully.

I will stay on list as the information here (as I said before, it all
has value) is important to me, and I have no interest in trying to make
a list political statement about leaving it (or cutting off my nose to
spite my face). I am just very disappointed that the bias against
playback is so entrenched in some here, that the civil discussion wasn't
even promoted to continue.

Scott Connop