Re: Re: field test of Audio-Technica 3032 mics

Subject: Re: Re: field test of Audio-Technica 3032 mics
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:10:51 -0600
I got a pair of 3032s several weeks ago because my 722 was
producing loud pops with the Earthworks SROs, presumably
because the phantom load was too much (my 722 does have
the bigger caps in the phantom circuit, but it's only
one channel that pops loud.

So far I've used the 3032s only for live music - moderate to
loud, and haven't really had a chance to do quiet recordings
and head-to-head comparisons with the SROs (1/8" capsules vs
1/2 inch for the 3032s).  The 3032's larger capsule would
make them nominally more directional at high frequencies,
but quieter for the capsule acoustic noise component.

I'd want to look at transient waveforms in a head-to-head
since that's one of the strengths of the Earthworks mics.
But with just non-critical listening to the 3032 recordings
I'd say they're close.  Percussions sounds a lot like the
Earthworks, and so far I've used them in Jecklin disk
configuration only.

You can hear (and catch a glimpse the 3032s in action at:

http://feldman.gidnoy.com/movies/20051021_GMG_WalkinHome.mov

or if you don't want to wait for 15 Meg, there's a lower-rez
version of the same hand-synched audio+video at;

http://feldman.gidnoy.com/movies/20051021_GMG_Home_stream.mov

There mics are front of stage about crotch-high -- the baffle
is grey rectangular mouse pads.  Left pointed at the Marshall
in front of the mando, and right pointed at the bass.

Dan Dugan wrote:

> Next time I have access to a 722 I'll try a night recording at high
> sampling rate with 3032s, and slow it down with SoundHack or
> something.

Maybe I can make some 24/96 samples of the 3032 vs SRO and
make them available for you analysts.  Any suggestions as to
what would be a good source of hf?  I could jingle keys or
play sweeps through my Lineaum monopoles -- they claim response
to 25k.

-- Mike