Re: Headphone model ?

Subject: Re: Headphone model ?
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:01:08 -0600
Gerald White wrote:

> I have hearing loss starting at 4 kHz and progressing slightly more
> severe as the frequency goes up....

Yow, evem worse than my aging, abused hearing loss.

> I have the Sony MRS 7506 and they are very good but sound is accurate
> and as a result I hear the bass sounds more strongly than the higher
> pitch sounds.

7506's emphesize the bass as I recall, and mid-highs, too.  But it's
been a couple years since mine were stolen, and I replaced them with
Senn HD280 Pros and haven't looked back.  More accurate and comfortable,
and better isolation, but a tad less durable.

Aaron Ximm answered:

> If you're open to ear-canal phones, I believe the Etymotic ER4Bs -- their
> "binaural" modal -- emphasize upper frequencies. They're pricey but you
> can find dealers on eBay much below MSRP -- I can recommend one where I'v=
> gotten 3 pair.

I'll 2nd the Etymotics.  Note that there are 3 models: B, S, and P,
where the P is easier to drive (lower impedance) with portable gear.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-ts.aspx

And for DIYers, you can get the P's and add an external EQ network
that duplicates the S (or B) response, or even adapt it to your own
hearing.   But the added EQ (and resulting impedance) means you need
a better headphone amp to drive them.

There's also the cheaper ER-6's, but they're not as accurate and they
don't seal in the ear canals as well, so the bass response is harder
to get (but then your're asking for less bass).

-- Mike