Re: Playback Ethics. Interesting perspective( documention-protecti=

Subject: Re: Playback Ethics. Interesting perspective( documention-protecti=
From: "Richard Lyttle" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:51:37 -0500
on)

---- Original Message -----
From: Scott Connop
  Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 12:26 PM
  Subject: [Nature Recordists] Playback Ethics

  I understand that playback feels like cheating to some, but, the fact
  is, we all have used technology to improve our ability to enjoy birds.
  We have come a long way from our forefathers who used guns to further
  their interest in birds. Some forms of interaction with birds are going
  to be far less intrusive simply because they do not require as much
  proximity and time with a bird than others. As this increases, we need
  to increase ethical standards to care for our subjects. This forum has a=

  unique position to champion standards, just as long as we address all of=

  the issues surrounding why we are recording a bird.

  Thanks for your patience with a long posting, I try to keep them few and=

  far between.

  Scott Connop

I'm a practical novice on this list ( and an amateur ) but this overall poi=
nt made by Scott Connop ( selective playback attempts could be acceptable i=
n certain conditions-lead to species conservation ) makes sense to me.

I've spent many years observing wildlife. Sometimes you're bothering them, =
sometimes you're not.

You can't protect something you can't document so from that perspective I s=
upport some documenting techniques. I tape alot-you can spend many, may hou=
rs...

Good debate. perspectiv?. One time I walked by a family of mergansers along=
 a path next to the Metolius River, Oregon and I watched to my horror mama =
merganser and babies scooting ahead of me over a long stretch but one baby =
not making it, not keeping up..by alot--left way behind.=20

And I was just walking along the trail! I am not at all sure baby found mom=
ma. I was bummed. But on the same walk I could not shake a western tanager =
I was walking by as georgeous as it was in a leafless bush--seemed like not=
 bothered at all at 2 feet distance while me shooting it with my camera! ma=
ybe not the exact analogy but...

my 2 cents. i thought his overall argument was cogent.

Rip Lyttle, nightime audio taper

on the other side, I also called up a Northern Spotted Owl once up at Breit=
enbush Hot Springs, OR and it became completely understandable why they are=
 in danger. They do come flittiing down to you, like clueless like. so that=
 can be the bad side. people use call / other techniques for blam, blam.

i guess it come down motive. If it increases understanding.or conservation =
and its short in duration......

Rip Lyttle, Maryland