Re: MT2496 digital input

Subject: Re: MT2496 digital input
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:57:18 +0200
The numbers are in the wav file, coded into
two-bytes binary words. For a standard 16 bit wav
file those numbers start at byte 45 because the
first 44 bytes contain the header of the files
with all the informations required to properly
read and play the file (sampling rate, number of
channels, number of bits, etc.).
You can read them by using a hex editor, by
reading the file into matlab, or by reading the
file with a simple program that can be written in
almost any programming language.
With 24 bits files it is almost the same, but
more complicate. 24 bits can be encoded in 32
bits samples (4 bytes), just saved as 3 bytes or
saved in 32 bit floating point numbers ranging from -1 to +1.

Gianni

At 15.39 20/10/2005, you wrote:

>Sorry to be dumb about this, but where do you read these numbers? What
>software shows the "integer numbers" this way? I only work in Protools
>and Peak, and haven't seen such indications on the sample level - or
>haven't I looked for them? Plus I generally work at 24 bit, which is a
>considerably higher figure.
>
>Thanks,
>
><L>
>
>Lou Judson =95 Intuitive Audio
>415-883-2689
>
>On Oct 20, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Gianni Pavan wrote:
>
> > In a 16 bits wave file samples are represented by
> > 16 bits integer numbers. With 16 bits you can
> > just represent integer values ranging from -32768
> > to +32767. I use 32700 to verify that the numbers
> > are not changed. If I use -32768 and +32767 I
> > can't understand if, after a transfer, the number
> > is what I set or a truncated version of a higher number.
> >
> > Gianni
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

>--

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921