Re: Rolls PB224 tests

Subject: Re: Rolls PB224 tests
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:42:55 -0000
Thanks Rob, for your thoughts on this.

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
<snip>
> >At 5:54 PM +0000 10/1/05, John Hartog wrote:
> >>  > The equipment used follows this order:
> >  > > 1. Rode NT1-A's > Rolls PB224 > Sony MZ-N707 (analog transfer)
> >  > > 2. NT1-A's > PB224 > Marantz PMD670
> >  > > 3. NT1-A's > PMD670
>
> As #1 and #3 both pass through the PMD's 670's mic pre, this

I assume you meant #2 and #3.=20

>I don't think the PB224 can
> improve the noise performance of the 670's mic pre, though.

I agree, though you never know until you test it out.

> As #1 and #2 use different mic pres (and transfer means), this
> comparison shows that the PMD 670's mic pre performance is on par
> with the Sony MZ-N707's + noise added by the transfer.

Yes - if one thing can be gained from my test, it is the PB224
effectively widens the range of microphones usable with consumer
minidisc recorders. Great news for those of us choosing a path of
lower cost.

>   If "15" was used for the analog transfer instead of "30" for line
> level, was the loudness or saturation of the Sony's file greater?

So "30" is line level: where would we be without you? I picked 15
because it was at about the middle which seemed to me like a safe bet
for line level from a headphone jack. I don't recall any mention of it
in the owner's manual.=20
John Hartog