Re: Rolls PB224 tests

Subject: Re: Rolls PB224 tests
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:58:08 -0500
At 6:42 PM +0000 10/5/05, John Hartog wrote:
<snip>

>At 5:54 PM +0000 10/1/05, John Hartog wrote:
>>  The equipment used follows this order:
>>  1. Rode NT1-A's > Rolls PB224 > Sony MZ-N707 (analog transfer)
>>  2. NT1-A's > PB224 > Marantz PMD670
>>3. NT1-A's > PMD670
>>
>>  As #1 and #3 both pass through the PMD's 670's mic pre, this
>
>I assume you meant #2 and #3.

Yes!

>Yes - if one thing can be gained from my test, it is the PB224
>effectively widens the range of microphones usable with consumer
>minidisc recorders. Great news for those of us choosing a path of
>lower cost.

Absolutely. That is the key point of the test isn't it?

All MD/HiMD/DAT units tested so far have worked with the Rolls except
a few needed 100 uf filter caps added to the adapter cable.  I ran
several condenser mics last weekend through Rolls units into HIMD
that I had never before used without an external pre. I cannot detect
any significant difference in performance. Its a killer combo.

>>    If "15" was used for the analog transfer instead of "30" for line
>>  level, was the loudness or saturation of the Sony's file greater?
>
>So "30" is line level: where would we be without you? I picked 15
>because it was at about the middle which seemed to me like a safe bet
>for line level from a headphone jack. I don't recall any mention of it
>in the owner's manual.

I'm not sure about the Sony MZ-N707.  Full headphone volume =3D line
level with the HiMD's I've used.  I was looking for a way to compare
the pre gain of the Sony MZ-N707 with the 670's, but I couldn't tell
with analog transfer variable. Rob D.