Re: Rolls PB224 tests

Subject: Re: Rolls PB224 tests
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 01:48:32 -0500
>At 5:54 PM +0000 10/1/05, John Hartog wrote:

<snip>

>  > >
>>  > http://www.rockscallop.org/test/jh-050925-rollstest.wav
>>  >
>  > > http://www.rockscallop.org/test/jh-050925-rollstest.mp3
>  > >
>  > > For the first three recordings, the clock
>  > > is about eight feet away and somewhat to the left of the microphones.
>>  > In the second three, the clock is about three feet directly in front.
>  > > All the recordings were made with recorder settings at full gain.
>>  >
>>  > The equipment used follows this order:
>  > > 1. Rode NT1-A's > Rolls PB224 > Sony MZ-N707 (analog transfer)
>  > > 2. NT1-A's > PB224 > Marantz PMD670
>  > > 3. NT1-A's > PMD670

Thanks for the tests John.
Concentrating on the high Hz hiss/noise which is fairly easy to
discern above the wind,  I agree with Mark that there's not much
difference in the first three tests.

As #1 and #3 both pass through the PMD's 670's mic pre, this
comparison shows that the PB-224 is pretty transparent- - it is not
adding an appreciable amount of noise. I don't think the PB224 can
improve the noise performance of the 670's mic pre, though.

As #1 and #2 use different mic pres (and transfer means), this
comparison shows that the PMD 670's mic pre performance is on par
with the Sony MZ-N707's + noise added by the transfer.

  If "15" was used for the analog transfer instead of "30" for line
level, was the loudness or saturation of the Sony's file greater? Rob
D,