Re: MOTU Traveller, first impressions

Subject: Re: MOTU Traveller, first impressions
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:23:04 -0500
At 12:58 PM -0700 9/11/05, Dan Dugan wrote:
>Rob Danielson, you wrote,
>
>>I find that 3% saturation  of the peaks for the quietest
>>passages gives me enough data to work with. 6% is much better, but
>><1%  often disappoints.
>
>Does your DAW read levels in %? What are those levels in dBFS
>(decibels re full scale)?
>
>(which I no longer have the full version of-Dan Dugan

I can't figure out what full scale of the Sample window in Logic is;
its showing peaks as percentages. Last time I recall seeing a full
scale value I think it was 96dB in Peak (which I no longer have).
The more I think about it, my suggestion of 3% saturation for peaks
as a goal is pretty unreliable even if Gianni's DAW scale is the
same. (The background ambience could have a lot of dynamic range or
be very bottom heavy. A recording can still lack low-mid saturation
to support good spatial imaging if the 3% peaks are the result of
very low Hz energy. My NT1A's exhibit increased response under 30 Hz.
)

If determining the long term usability of the interface for very
quiet places is the goal,  A/B comparison of recordings might be a
good way to go. One recording could be made (in the quiet location)
with 60-70dB of pre gain from an external pre and the another made
with maximum gain with the MOTU's internal mic pre. Since he needs a
total of 4 channels of pre, the 4 channel RME QuadMic is an option.
It has 60dB gain. At 24 bits, the 7dB difference could easily be
insignificant if MOTU's mic pre has low noise. The QuadPre is spec'd=20
SNR: 129 dB EIN.

Gianni, if you don't have a low noise external pre to A/.B with, I'd
try to do the test recordings in a comparably quiet place and judge
the results at room levels I want to use and on headphones. Hope it
goes well. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department