MOTU Traveller, first impressions

Subject: MOTU Traveller, first impressions
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:15:09 +0200
Hi all,
        I just received a MOTU Traveller demo unit (a lot of thanks are due
to BACKLINE, the italian MOTU distributor!). Before to install it on
a katamaran for wideband recording ceataceans with our towed array of
hydrophones I did a short test.

It is a quite thin and lightweight, it stays just below the laptop
even if it is a bit larger...
It can be dc powered 10-24V (12W) or bus powered by the FireWire
interface (it depends on your laptop's interface...)

here the main features:
4 mic inputs and 4 line inputs
level controls in 1 dB step with numerical display
levels are controllable either with the knobs&display or with the MOTU soft=
ware
up to 53 dB gain on mic inputs, plus insertable 20dB attenuator pad
48V phantom individually switchable on each mic input
sampling rate up to 192 kHz (44,48,88,96,176,192)
at 192 kHz very flat response up to 90kHz, the smooth roll-off: - 2dB
at 94 kHz, -4dB at 95 kHz.
anti-aliasing filtering:
-9dB at 97kHz (alias at 95)
-12dB at 98kHz (alias at 94)
-17dB at 99kHz (alias at 93)
-21dB at 100kHz (alias at 92)
-27dB at 101kHz (alias at 91)
-34dB at 102kHz (alias at 90)
-43dB at 103kHz (alias at 89)
-55dB at 104kHz (alias at 88)
-70dB at 105kHz (alias at 87)
The WDM driver allows to get all channels together for perfect
multichannel recording; it also include an optional legacy driver
that makes channels available in pairs: 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8.
ASIO drivers are also included.

I hope these info will be useful to judge if the Traveller matches
your needs or not, but
I don't have the ability to measure the intrinsic noise of the
preamplifiers (though, by connecting two RODE NT1 they appear to be
very quiet).
Can you suggest how to perform such a test in an easy but reliable way ??

Gianni
Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921