Sennheiser MKH question

Subject: Sennheiser MKH question
From: "derek holzer" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:53:47 +0200 (CEST)
Has anyone here had a chance to demo the Sennheiser MKH 418-s? It's a
stereo, mid-side hypercardiod/shotgun mike, and I'm wondering how
favorably it compares to an MKH 30/60 M/S combo.

The benefits I see are that you have one mike instead of two (weight
reduction), with a built-in M/S encoder so you can go straight to preamp
or recorder. And it retails in Europe for EUR 1290, whereas the 30/60
combo will set you back EUR 1288 (MKH 30) + EUR 1379 (MKH 60) for new
ones, not including clips to connect them and an M/S encoder if you want
to properly monitor them.

But I wonder why the 418-s is more "budget" and where the corners got cut.
I see in the spec a 40-20000 Hz frequency response (less range than an MKH
60?), and it isn't labelled "extremely low self-noise" the way the other
MKH ones are, so that could be a pinch point.

Feedback on this one? I could have a chance to buy an MKH 60 for about
half retail, which makes me a bit more torn between the two options! ;-)

derek