Re: Reliability & Humidtiy (was mic check

Subject: Re: Reliability & Humidtiy (was mic check
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:57:10 +0200
At 18:23 2005-08-30, you wrote:
>At 1:49 PM +0200 8/30/05, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>
>,<snip>
> >
> >Both my R=F6de NT1A make low frequent noise, even "pop's" as soon as it =
gets
> >a little cold, and so (even more) does the CAD 179. This is actually in
> >order! The mic's are made for indoor studio work and cannot!! be reliabl=
> >under cold / humid circumstances. (I still wanted to try them, though, a=
> >they are new and untested)
>
>   Mkh's are close to 100% reliable in high
>humidity and everyone would prefer to have at
>least one pair. Until one can afford that
>solution, one must figure out how to get the best
>mics one can afford into the field.  Poor me, I
>figure I need 4 mkh-800's for the next reliable
>upgrade.

Yes, MKH's have a totally different principle. Rob, I DO claim that it is
"universally" correct that big membrane, high voltage mic's are unreliable.=

It comes with the principle.
That does not mean, however, that you can't have a pair that works
flawlessly for years.

It means that if I should work for a film team somewhere, and recording was=

very important, I would spend the money on MKH's or on several R=F6de mic's=
,
having several back-up's.

Klas.