Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2

Subject: Re: draft procedure for amateur recording in parks, v. 2
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:27:32 -0500
Thanks for the careful proposal Dan. It would be great for many folks
to be able to participate. Could the procedure be simpler and still
get the data that is most needed? I'd have to be really psych'd up
for the strenuous calibration method you've outlined.  For example,
if one knows the exact mics and recorder/recorder level used, a post
test with the gear would probably determine  the ambient levels with
as much accuracy as the calibration test. With the larger part of the
non-natural sound energy coming from a distance at under 50Hz,
wouldn't it be very tough to set up relevant field calibration? For
record level instruction, how about something like "...set at -5dB
during a loud, distant event. If a louder event comes, re-adjust the
record level for -5dB (or -10dB, but this is often not marked) and
record for another 30 minutes"  Bit depth helps with the accuracy of
the analysis tools I've used and some extra noise is not usually a
concern. I've used the voice method you describe many times in the
city, isn't the dynamic range in the woods too low for this method?
(or is the pollution THAT serious!)   I agree that careful note
taking is really important. Having assigned "15 minute" takes on many
occasion, I'd specify at least a half hour. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department