Re: Re: distance vs. strength

Subject: Re: Re: distance vs. strength
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:21:09 +0200
Some birds cannot be recorded closely.

Great grey owl, for example, is so dependant on acoustic gain that close to
him he sounds ridiculous.
The same with a bittern.

Not only very low frequent sounds suffer from this. A common cucu looses
all his "space" and "strength" at close distances .

I would say that a recordist has to find "the best" distance. It doesn't at
all mean as close as possible. Especially not when using a parabol.

I always record the bird as soon as I hear it, and then go closer a number
of times and make new recordings. I have many times found that the "best"
recording was not the one made as close as possible. But I guess this is
also a matter of taste. I know of people who only accept "acoustical close
up's" - absolutely dry. I don't.

Klas.

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.