Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: Lew Proudfoot <>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi!  My name is Lew Proudfoot, and I live in Biloxi,
Mississippi.  Just got interested in nature recording, starting with
birds, and now cicadas and frogs. I live on a bayou, and it is VERY
lively.
I started out with a simple mike into my MP3 recorder, very convenient, but
limited in quality and length of time.  I switched to a big ear mike, which was
great so long as I put a high pass filter to cut off below 1500Hz!  Finally I
went big time:
I bought a Marantz digital recorder, with a Sennheiser boom
mike.  I am going to order two omnis, to make stereo recordings,
especially of bird conversations. It is EXTREMELY difficult to sort
out a mono recording to make sense of two birds at once. Any work
done with time difference of arrival (TDOA) analysis in omni
mikes?

I am a systems engineer/program manager by trade, with an
engineering degree from Caltech.  So I'm pretty technical in some things,
but just a beginner in bioacoustics. I am having a blast,
though!!!!

Lew