Re: Introduction

Subject: Re: Introduction
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:00:12 -0000
--- In  Lew Proudfoot
<> wrote:

> Any work
> done with time difference of arrival (TDOA) analysis in omni
> mikes?
>
> I am a systems engineer/program manager by trade, with an
> engineering degree from Caltech.  So I'm pretty technical in some
things,
> but just a beginner in bioacoustics. I am having a blast,
> though!!!!
>
> Lew

Welcome and enjoy.

Read the section of Steves work on Dora under "Getting Bearings".

His program Dora is a free download.

This function is not included in his current release of Dora2.

see:http://math.uc.edu/~pelikan/Dora/Instructions.html

Steve Pelikan is a field recordist mainly interested in birds with a
day job of "math prof". He makes fine recordings and is part of this
group.

I would be interested if this work was taken to the next level. My
Cube Mic (4 Omni's spaced on the sides around a cube) has spacing
about 9" on corners. How accurate can TOA calculations be with this
mic at various pitches and assuming an abrupt sound beginning? How
accurate can normal binaural mics with ~7" spacing be by TOA? Can
turning a stereo mic to matched volumes increase the TOA accuracy and
by how much?  I know from listening to my surround recordings that it
is a listening activity that involves alot of turning and motion by
the listener.  As I hear an approximate location of a call I can
define it much more accurately by facing toward what I think the
source of the caller is. It would also be great to determine the
accuracy of TOA calculations between my cube mic and mics that are
spaced 100 feet apart.

Rich