Re: new recorder - CF options

Subject: Re: new recorder - CF options
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:49:57 -0500
At 9:46 AM -0700 7/29/05, Kevin J. Colver wrote:
>What does the group think of this device?  Would it work in the outback
>to download from the 722 without any laptop or other power source?
>
>http://www.data-recovery-tools.net/prevention/smartdisk.html
>
>Kevin Colver

Hi Kevin--
Seems like standard 2.5" IDE drive llike you'd find in a laptop in
Iomega's case/card for  USB 2.0 and/or FW 1394 connectors.  The case
is probably the biggest unknown. Im seeing a lot of external cases
going out these days, big "brand name" or not. The drives themselves
are fairing better. Personally, having tried to get tech support for
Iomega products for a good many years (zips, Jaz's etc.)  I'd go with
a place with a proven track record of great support when something
goes bad or you need help with formatting etc. Tom at Other World
Computing usually gets back with email questions within a couple of
hours and he answers his phone. OWC, his company, tracks drive issues
and operation system changes as any  vender/source I know of. They
often post problems that Apple and MS have created before anyone else.

You could build up a a portable external drive yourself from this case:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTGPRO/
and one of these 2.5" drives:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

or buy it made up like ths:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go/

I usually buy my cases from OWC and drives using pricewatch.com and
save quite a bit and place the drive in the case and format it
myself. Making sure you have the right driver for your platform is
very important. Tom can help with that if its not on their FAQ site.

At this point,though, you can't yet download directly to such a
portable drive from the 722 in the field. You need a computer as the
interface. Not sure when the firmware upgrade is anticipated.  Rob D.