Is this normal for a 722

Subject: Is this normal for a 722
From: "Bill Rankin" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:31:16 +1000

Having received my new Sound Devices 722 last week I am still getting used =
to the settings etc but
I am a bit concerned about the loud electronic "crack" that I get in the he=
adphones when the unit is switched on (and off)
The obvious answer is  to turn the headphones down to zero before turning o=
n and off but this action is easy to forget.
 This not only hurts my ears but could also damage my headphones!
I am surprised that this is happening in a unit of this calibre. Is this no=
rmal or could my unit be faulty?
or maybe I have set it up incorrectly

 I have emailed the supplier but no answer forthcoming as yet.

 Female Albert=92s Lyrebird

      Photograph Syd Curtis
=20=20=20=20
My Sony dat D7 (which the 722 is replacing) had a "soft" start and so do mo=
st consumer amps available nowadays.=20

(I am using the built in 48v phantom power to drive the MKH 50 mic)

Bill Rankin
Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Group