Compact Flash backup in the field

Subject: Compact Flash backup in the field
From: "Robin Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:27:32 -0400
For several weeks now I have been using a Roadstor from Micro Solutions to
back up my 1G CF card that I use with an Edirol R1 recorder. This is a
device that burns whatever is on a CF card to CD-R discs. The transfer is
fairly fast (about 20 minutes for 1G) and can be done in the field using th=
Roadstor's internal battery. If the CF card does not all fit on one CD-R th=
Roadstor pops the first CD out and asks for a continuation CD.

I don't know how long a Roadstor could go without being re-charged, but it
works fine for me for a day's recording. I usually use it with its AC
adaptor.

The Roadstor can also play 16 bit .WAV files (but not 24 bit files) from
either the CF card or the CD.  And my wife can use the Roadstor to back up
her digital photos. The Roadstor is also supposed to be able connect to a T=
to play DVDs or show digital photos, but I have not done that yet.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC USA