Re: OK, Looks As Though I Gotta Give In

Subject: Re: OK, Looks As Though I Gotta Give In
From: "Scott" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:46:40 -0000
Rob,

Six great focusing questions! [What do you like to record?  How would
you like to record (micing style)? What future goals do you have for
your recordings?  What kind of monitoring do you use or have access
to? What is your budget for mics, recorder and sealed cup
headphones.  What computer platform are you on?]

In essence what these questions provide is the realization of how
woefully unprepared that I am. With your guidance I now have an
inkling of where I must turn my attention.

Of your six questions I can only answer three at this time:

(1)What do you like to record? -------- Bio and Eco sonics.  I'm
entraced by soundscape activities as in R. Murray Schafer and the
ecoacoustic movement.

(2) What future goals do you have for your recordings? ---------
Relative to Question and Answer # 1, I'd like to become seriously
involved in documenting what I consider the deterioration of our
sonic enviroment.  Yeah, I'm a bit of an environmental activist but
don't become duly concerned since I have no intention of pushing my
agenda at this Yahoo Group.  There's another one for that purpose and
I know exactly where it is.

(3) What computer platform are you on? ------------------
Unfortunagely my six year old desktop with Windows 98SE just
won't "cut it" for the speed and memory that I'll need for some heavy
duty audio software so by the point I purchase a minidisc and mics
I'll be on some kind of a laptop replacement computer with Windows XP.

What I'm really wondering at this point, Rob, is the future of
minidisc recorders.  Will they, their replacement parts, and anything
else required by them be around for another eight to ten years?  Or
are we so very close to economical, yet fairly decent solid state
digital recorders that minidic recorders already a relic of the past?

Thanks for getting me started with your questions.

Scott