Re: What optics do you recommend?

Subject: Re: What optics do you recommend?
From: "Dana Blackmer" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:45:17 -0000
Mik,

I know next to nothing about nature recording at present, but I do
know a thing or two about nature photography.  I'll give you a couple
of tid bits here, but will try to be brief so as not to go too far
away from the focus of this group.  I'll be happy to reply in more
detail in a private email if you'd like more info.

The first question is what do you want to shoot?  Assuming that you
want an overall good lens to bring some things closer to you that you
hear but can't see, a moderate telephoto zoom in the neighborhood of
70-200mm is a good choice.  Serious birders love big glass, so a fixed
focal length lens of 300, 400, or even 500mm is frequently used.=20
Prepare to get a second mortgage on the house for the really long
lenses, though.

If you're looking for one book that can help with everything from
equipment to technique of nature photography, I recommend John Shaw's
Guide to Nature Photography.  He's clear, thorough, and a good teacher.

Good luck!

Dana

--- In  "Mik Gough" <>