Looking for references on recording technique

Subject: Looking for references on recording technique
From: "Dana Blackmer" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:54:56 -0000
Since I am brand new to nature recording, I have a lot to learn.  I
appreciate the discussions regarding equipment in this group, but I am
also aware that even the best equipment, if placed in inexperienced
hands, will not produce a quality recording.  Therefore, I'm looking
to get my hands on as much material as I can about the techniques used
to obtain good nature recordings.

So far I have read Bernie Krause's book, Wild Soundscapes; I have read
The New Stereo Soundbook; and I have pulled some things off the web,
including some helpful information from the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology, that focuses, not surprisingly, on capturing bird song.
I've also listened to as much of other's recordings as I can to learn
more about what experienced nature recordists are capable of doing.

I'd love to get more information that will help me acquire the skills
necessary to produce good recordings once I save up my pennies to
purchase the equipment I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dana