Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence

Subject: Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:20:48 -0500
Rob Danielson wrote:

> I had the pleasure of working with recordings from about 8 different
> kinds of mics in "matched" x-y or spread omni pairs. None of them have
> been that well matched really. I'm interested in folks with DPA's and
> other expensive mics taking a shot at describing the improvements they
> feel they hear because the frequency responses (or other qualities) of
> their mics are very closely matched.

"Matched pairs" comes up here from time to time. The theory sounds
great, and maybe someday I'll be willing to pay the price for a
"matched pair" of high-end mics, but as a practical matter, I have a
feeling that any random pair of any microphone model from the same
manufacturing era might be better matched than my two 49-year-old ears.

Curt Olson