RE: Re: 722 vs PMD670

Subject: RE: Re: 722 vs PMD670
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:25:20 -0700
<From my point of view, the PMD mic input amp must be terribly bad. I don't
understand that. It is noisier than all cheap MD:s, noisier than Edirol R1
and all likewise.
Why?? There is no reason, except that Marantz might have thought that
"nobody cares anyway, all the kids are recording pop-music anyway" -
but....no, it doesn't make sense.

Or, is something wrong with Martyn's PMD?
Un-clean phantom power?
Digital noise>>>>>

What ever you do Klas, don't change the configuration of the Telinga!! I
love it the way it is :)

I have used separate mics with the PMD with their own power eliminating
phantom power and you still hear the hiss, lots of it!!
http://www.naturesound.org/world_sounds.htm

On this page if you go to "a Welsh dawn chorus" I used a Denecki and after
slight filtering, you can still here a slight hiss, maybe this is after
compression?

One thing for sure, I believe your statement to be true, these recorders
were not made to record quiet environments...

I will do a test with the Tascam and Portadisk today setting the gain the
same on each machine....

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
http://www.naturesound.org

N47.65543   W121.98428
Redmond. Washington. USA
Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!