Re: ANWR

Subject: Re: ANWR
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:18:51 -0000
Dan,
The other parameter you want to report to the park is the map
datum you used. U.S. Topo maps are still commonly NAD 27
CONUS (North American Datum ...Continental United States). My
impression is at least GPS units sold in the US default to
another datum (WGS 84), altho you can set them to convert
screen output to NAD27 CONUS or many others.

Consumer GPS units can sometimes produce startlingly bad
short term fixes, so a reality check via map software (e.g.,
National Geographic's Topo or several others) at the position
you are about to report is usually educational.

The dominant GIS software parks use to map location data
'expects' decimal degrees as input, though conversion is not a
big deal (assuming the datum is known).

Bill Rainey

> Degrees minutes and seconds I think is the standard Dan, I
have been using
> degrees, degree for about 8 years now and I mark all
recordings this way, I