Bare witness

Subject: Bare witness
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:39:45 -0700
Silence on advocacy issues that preserves habitat so these lovely
sounds can be heard is antithetical to everything each of us is
trying to do.

It's very much to the point and needs to be embraced at every level
and opportunity. No one should be muzzled on the issue or restrained
from making their feelings, impressions, and/or observations known
within this group or any other, for that matter, particularly where
the comments are pro-active and helpful.

Speak up if you feel that what's happening to the natural soundscape
is a major issue! Keep silent if you feel that things are just
hunky-dorey. Your choice. Meanwhile, keep collecting those sounds
while there's still a chirp or growl left on this earth.

When I first began recording in 1968, fully 45% of our old growth
forests were left standing in N. America. As of this writing, less
than 2% remains. My archive consists of over 3500 hrs of soundscape
material collected from around the world. Over 35% of my N. American
collection comes from habitats where the soundscape is so compromised
as to be unrecognizable. That's in 37 years, folks!  Let's all be
real quiet about this, eh?

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary