Re: MS Stereo mic combination

Subject: Re: MS Stereo mic combination
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:15:02 -0700
Recording is all about illusion, Klas. And on
that score, chacun =E1 son gout. When listening to
natural soundscapes it just seems to me that the
last thing one would want to do is tether oneself
to more technology (headphones). That's why MS is
the first choice for creating illusions of
spatial material for the film industry and for my
stuff (because the final stage output will
typically be an array of speakers - two or more).
But because I happen to like it has absolutely no
bearing on what pleases other folks.  There's a
whole range of options that work. I just met a
fellow last week who's into wire recording and
uses a version of Vladmir Poulsen's 1899
invention. Really cool and not bad signal. But
god, that thing is heavy - abt 35Kg (77 lbs).

Bernie

>You could be right, what I have heard as long as I can remember is that MS
>gave a true monosignal to mono Tv sets - still stereo to the ones with
>stereo - and that that was the whole point with it. Then it is another
>thing that you sometimes happen to like the kind of stereo you get. I'm no=
>very happy with MS. When I listen to it, regardless of how - headphones or
>speakers - I get no feeling for the ambience. I'm not "there" as with
>Blumline, for speakers / and binaural, for headphones.
>
>Klas.
>

>At 16:32 2005-06-13, you wrote:
>>Hmmmm...  Not according to the folks at Sennheiser, who were
>>instrumental in developing the MS technology, Klas. It was designed
>>in the late 70s to compensate for the -3dB drop in the phantom center
>>of XY stereo recordings and certainly not for "perfect mono." The
>>folks in the TV medium have just recently got into MS because they
>>now have to work in stereo formats. MS is used almost exclusively in
>>film, now, particularly since the fellas and gals at Skywalker Sound
>>(LucasFilm) do a lot to set the industry standards in location
>>recording.
>>
>>Bernie
>>
>>  >b.t.w - why not get another CAD179 and try Blumline - two crossed eigh=
ts!
>>  >
>>  >It doesn't work when you have wind in the trees or when you have many
>>  >reflections, but in a silent and "dry" ambience it is - in my opinion =
- the
>>  >by far best stereo set-up for naturesound. Remember that MS was design=
ed
>>  >once for television on-location recordings with it's only real purpose=
>>  >get a perfect mono channel.
>>  >
>>  >Klas.
>>  >
>>  >At 13:32 2005-06-13, you wrote:
>>  >>Personally I like naturesound MS recordings
>>made with an eight and an omni.
>>  >>It sounds "spacier" as you get more ambience.
>>  >>You can use a MKH70, but you must expect a quite "dry" recording. I t=
hink
>>  >>it will work best when you are quite near the bird, say a few meters,=
 when
>>  >>you don't expect so much ambience anyway. When the bird sounds "far a=
way"
>>  >>and the "natural" would be some ambience, such a recording will sound
>>  >>strange. At least to my ears.
>>  >>
>>  >>Klas.
>>  >>
>>  >>At 03:18 2005-06-13, you wrote:
>>  >>  >I have access to a Sennheiser MKH70 and own a CAD M179.  I think t=
he
>>  >>  >179 would work as the S part of a MS stereo setup (when set to the
>>  >>  >Figure 8 option), but am unsure of the MKH70 as the M part.  I hav=
>>  >>  >seen discussion here about the MKH60 and MKH40 used as the mid on =
MS

--
Wild Sanctuary
P. O. Box 536