MS Stereo mic combination

Subject: MS Stereo mic combination
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:46:35 -0400
From: Wild Sanctuary <>

> The wider the Mid pattern, Fred, the more robust the result when you
> encode to stereo. Although I have 2 MKH20s, now, I still prefer the
> MKH 30/40 combination because, for me, it provides the best solution
> for a wide range of applications. A cardioid Mid (as compared to a
> narrower field with the 50s - 70s) preserves the low end better, as
> well.

I have and use both a 30/40 MS and a 30/60 MS. Each has it's place, it
is not the only goal of stereo recording to have a wide field. To me
it's important to cover the stereo field of interest. In many cases it's
a good solution to record a field thats naturally narrower.

One should also realize that a shotgun mic is not all that narrow a
polar pattern. At lower frequencies a MKH-60 has a polar pattern that
covers nearly half a circle. A MKH-70 would cover the same frequencies
for about 1/3 of a circle. In comparison the MKH-40 is about 2/3 of a
circle. At higher frequencies shotgun mics do have narrower polar
patterns, but still not all that narrow.

I do have a few old samples of 30/40 & 30/60 MS of the same sites here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mic_samples.html

I have a MKH-70 but have not yet tried it MS, though I expect I will.

I somewhat prefer the 30/60 MS over the 30/40 MS in my usage, but that's
partially as I tend to use the SASS/MKH-20 mod for my wide field stereo
mic. The 30/40 is too similar to the SASS to stand out as covering a
different soundfield.