RE: unknown sound. Please help

Subject: RE: unknown sound. Please help
From: "Alt, Mark" <>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:05:02 -0500
Field Sparrow

Mark Alt
Sr. Project Manager
Entertainment Software Supply Chain
Project Resources Group (PRG)
Best Buy Co., Inc.

(W) 612-291-6717
(Cell) 612-803-9085

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Rich Peet
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:19 AM
Subject: [Nature Recordists] unknown sound. Please help

State Line WI and IL in US.
Forrest edge 1/2 mile from any road or building.

Hook shaped whistle decending clean then ascending not as clean.
Sometimes starts as low as 8,000 cycles and sometimes starts above
20,000. Duration also variable. Heard as well as recorded.  Direction
could not be determined to get the dish on it. Frequency was about 1
time per min.  I did not have 24/96 equipment with me this day to
capture the upper range.  I will return for that if the sound is
natural.

My best guess right now is Brown Headed Cow Bird.  But I did not know
they could go ultrasonic.

Visual sound 122kb download at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/unk.JPG

Two sound examples 1.2 meg download at: