Re: Re: unknown sound. Please help

Subject: Re: Re: unknown sound. Please help
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 01:02:49 -0500
Rich Peet wrote:

> So that we are all talking about the right sound in this soundscape.
> I painted the image of the sound I am trying to id. This deletes a lot
> of the other birds and of course adds some artifact like sounds too.

"Painted"?  What does that mean?  And how exactly did you process
the original to get the unkhi.mp3?  Did it envolve resampling
to lower the pitch?  What I hear in the processed sample sounds
pretty much like the sonogram looks, but I'm pretty much deaf
above 12k (turn 56 tomorrow), and I can't hear anything like
it at all in the original.

> But it illustrates better this quiet, slow "electronic like whistle".
>  I am convinced from listening to many examples that it is a natural
> sound but still have no clue as to what it is.

In the original I hear some rhythmic clacking and rumble that
sounds an awful lot like freighttrainicus americanus.  I've heard
similar sound envelopes to your mystery sound coming from slow
moving trains.  I think it's from rusty wheel flanges getting
against the side of the rail as the train rocks side to side
over some loose ties.  Also a similar sound seems common
on Chicago and Philly commuter rail and els.  Could that
be what you've captured?