Sound Card?

Subject: Sound Card?
From: "1GDW" <>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 18:31:51 -0000
I have a new computer with plenty of horsepower and want to install
a quality sound card.  I plan to patch the card to a homemade
breakout box on the desktop.  I have narrowed the choice to three
cards and am looking for input in case I have overlooked something.
I am recording with mini disk and critical playback is over good
headphones, I do need to do some heavy EQ at times because of my
recording situations.  The computer is a multi-use machine with low
grade speakers for the family use.  I will probably not need SPDIF
in for some time, if ever.  I can do A/D outside the computer with
my Edirol UA-1X USB audio interface.

My first choice is the EMU 0404 at $99, it has the best SNR and has
two breakouts for each line.  The breakout is 1/4 inch plugs .
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?
product=2220&category=754&maincategory=754

The second choice is M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 24-bit 96KHz PCI
Interface Sound Card at $99, it uses RCA breakout and I wonder if
that is the best choice?
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121103

The third choice is the M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 6 (5.1) Channels 24-
bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card at $75, it only has SPDIF out.
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121116

Gerald White  Muscatine, IA