Introduction & Difficult Speech Problem

Subject: Introduction & Difficult Speech Problem
From: Michael Dalton <>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy all,

You can call me Mike (not in stereo at this time); my
location is Clearwater, Florida and my name is Michael
Dalton. I joined the group at the suggestion of Raven
Simons of Performance Audio in Salt Lake City.

As a kid, I first experimented and repaired wire
recorders. During my teen years I was active in
amateur radio and obtained a commercial broadcast
license. As a result I have done limited work in
studios at commercial stations. For many years I
operated a high-fidelity sound store offering quality
products, repair, and other services.

My formal education is in physics, but I now work in a
completely unrelated area: exploring interspecies
communication. The subject of my investigations and my
writing is a Blue & Gold macaw, a large, tropical,
parrot-like talking bird.

After making what I considered to be "routine" tape
recordings of my bird's utterances, I discovered that
most people do not understand a bird's impromptu
speech. Part of the problem is that my recordings
contain automotive traffic noise from a street
adjacent to the recording location. While the noise
had little effect upon my ability to hear the words,
listeners are annoyed and distracted by the background
noise.

Are there other recordists who can decode speech
embedded in noise? Does anyone have similar
experience? Keep in mind that the bird has an
extensive vocabulary and so her words are often
difficult to grasp. She also pronounces some words
sloppily.

I would like anyone who has interest in speech and
knowledge of speech recovery from a noisy environment
to communicate with me at my e-mail address. I am
interested in digital (or other) noise reduction to
make the speech more intelligible to the average
listener too. Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for allowing me into your group. Any help in
wrestling with the speech recognition problems and
noise difficulties outline above will be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Michael (Mike) Dalton
Florida