Re: level setting

Subject: Re: level setting
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:34:08 -0400
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> I guess I was not clear enough in what I need.
> I have moved from multichannel laptop recording using de-correlated
> wide spaced microphone arrays to coherent full immersion surround
> recording.
>
> The results are wonderful and very direction accurate in a full 360
> degree field. But when I setup I need to define reference levels for
> each channel that I can see for use in post production.  This is
> needed to keep the immersion direction accurate.=20
>
> I can not point the mic at the sky, can not use a small radio as the
> volume changes as it is turned, and can not carry studio equipment
> into the field. I already carry 25 lbs into the field for a 3 hour
> record capability at 24/96 or 10 lbs for 16 bit atrac full day
> capability. Right now I am just setting levels based on a hold of the
> minimum valley gain and maybe that is good enough with a good quantity
> of material
>
> I am starting to think that accurate level settings are not done in
> the music industry except by ear.

There are good mic calibrators for sound meters that are small. They put
out a standard level, usually at 1khz. Your big problem is that you'd
have to have a method of sealing the calibrator to the mic to get
consistent setting. On sound meters the calibrator is matched to the mic
diameter and you just slip it on to the mic. We used to do a calibration
at the beginning and end of each sound measurement run.

Such calibrators are not all that cheap either, often costing as much as
the meter they calibrate. And may be overkill for what you want. It
should not be all that hard to build a small field oscillator that's
similar.