Re: A Serendipitous Finding

Subject: Re: A Serendipitous Finding
From: Tim Nielsen <>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:37:00 -0700
This is an interesting topic to find, and since I've just recently
joined the group, thought I'd introduce myself.

I fell into recording through the film business, where I work as an FX
editor. From the beginning, I was in love with recording new FX, and
have always had a background for 'backgrounds'. To that end, I've ended
up doing lots of recording of new elements, and at some point just
began recording nature sounds for fun as well. I spent about a year
living in New Zealand working on Lord of the Rings, and recorded quite
a bit down there as well.

I've finally taken some money and invested in some new toys, including
a pair of omni Schoeps, an 816 Sennheiser, and a Telinga parabolic, and
hope to do a lot of recording this summer, as work looks slow. Also a
new 722 Sound Devices recorder to fill up, and I'm super excited about
recording again.

I'm hoping to take all of May or June, and hop in the car, head up
along the coast starting here in San Francisco, and spend about 4 weeks
recording, just everything that I can find.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts so far and listening to the
examples people have up on their sites. What a great community you all
have here, and I'm happy to have found it.

I wonder if anyone here has set up any kind of an informal 'trading'
circle. I have some nice CD's I've made (including my favorite of
gentle Lake Superior waves recorded at 2am) and with burning CD's as
easy as it is, might be fun to trade CD's with others who have made
them.

Tim Nielsen