Re: Your favourite recording locations in California

Subject: Re: Your favourite recording locations in California
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:12:22 -0800
When it's not windy, the coastal areas are beginning to show some
signs of bird and frog life, Volker. The Sierra Nevada range
(including Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon) are pretty much covered
with late spring snow still and not expected to show the usual robust
springtime soundscapes until mid to late June at this point. One
exception would be the eastern Sierras (north of Reno and just east
of Yosemite) at Mono Lake if you're interested in spade foot toads,
which are just beginning to get vocal and can be located at the hot
springs about a half mile (800m) to the north of the northern rim of
the lake.

Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur should be OK if you can get far enough
away from the ocean noise, as will Big Basin where you'll need to
hike but where you should find marbled murrlets and a few species of
owls at this time. If you want Pacific Ocean ambience, nearby
Pfeiffer State Beach is a terrific place to record if you can catch
it when there's no wind.

Around this area (Sonoma Valley) there are several terrific locations
including some wonderful sites along the ridge in Sugarloaf State
Park where it is approaching "high season" for natural
soundscapes...especially for dawn choruses and streams.

If the winds die down over the next several weeks, the redwood
forests around Eureka along the coast at the northwestern part of the
state might be pretty good although it's a bit early for much
activity except for Pacific tree frogs.

Inland and to the north, the Trinity Mountains (just west of Red
Bluff) will still be snow-covered and not accessible at the spots you
would want to record.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary