Your favourite recording locations in California

Subject: Your favourite recording locations in California
From: "Volker Widmann" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:39:00 +0200
Hi!

I'll be on an field trip to California for four weeks from the end of April to
the end of May.
One of my aims is to see as many old growth sequoia and redwood groves as
possible as I am very much into these big trees, the other aim is of course to
take advantage of some of the less spoilt North American soundscapes (compared
to my homecountry Germany!).
I will definitely skip all big cities and towns!
What I am after are natural soundscapes and ambience. I don't go for particular
species as I am not familiar with them anyway, but of course I eagerly accept
suggestions.
Another favourite of mine is water: creeks, lakes, rivers, streams, waterfalls,
you get the idea....
I would be very grateful for some advice and tips from the group as to where I
might encounter especially interesting living soundscapes.

I give you a rough idea of my route:

Malibu Creek SP, Southern Sierra Nevada (Sequoia NM, NF and NP), Yosemite NP,
Calaveras Big Trees SP, Stanislaus NF, Northern California Redwood Coast(
Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP, Humboldt Redwoods SP, Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP,
Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP, Prairie Creek Redwoods SP, Redwood NP), Southern
Redwood SP (Butano SP, Big Basin Redwoods SP, Pfeiffer Big Sur SP).

I have to admit, that's an awful lot of trees!! :-)

So if you have any kind of suggestions as to in which bush or near which creek
I should spend my dawns or dusks or days anywhere in relative vicinity of my
route, I would be more than happy.
I have been in the Southern Sierra before, but only for some days.
I am quite mobile (by car and on foot) and not afraid of rough terrain, but
would avoid several days long hikes as this limits my treewatching activities,
so fairly easy accessibility would be welcome.

Thanks a million in advance

Volker