Re: That hiss

Subject: Re: That hiss
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:14:53 -0800
It's possible you read about the "popcorn effect"  wherein film
mixers pipe background "noise" into the monitors so as to avoid
getting too subtle with the mix.

here's one mention of it:
m("29.TmIWa1mgo28.0","//talk.transom.org/WebX?14");@.eeb42cf/40">http:@.eeb42cf/40

In recording spaces unintentional background noise can come from
traffic outside the building, and from poorly engineered ventilation
systems.  Studios in Manhattan deal with sound bleed from subways
under their buildings.  It's expensive to "do it right" and requires
specialized knowledge and skills.

-jeremiah