Re: Okay, I ordered One: RE: Seeking Low-cost Commercially Available Par

Subject: Re: Okay, I ordered One: RE: Seeking Low-cost Commercially Available Parabolic system
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:16:10 -0500
From: "Jerry Berrier" <>

> I talked to Saul today, and I ended up canceling the order for the parabola
> and ordering the Sennheiser shotgun mic.
> He clearly convinced me that I'll get more bang for my buck with the
> shotgun.  I'm not giving up on the parabola though.  I'll eventually either
> get one or construct a system.
> I'm looking forward to lots of recording this spring.

Realize that it's kind of like two camps that don't see eye to eye.
There are folks that strongly prefer parabolics and ones that strongly
prefer shotguns. Either can be used within their own limitations.

You'll have to get closer with the shotgun, it's not going to have the
range of the parabolic. But, within that limitation it should do fine.

I'm sure if you continue to record you will want to have both. I use a
Stereo Telinga Parabolic, which I had before the MKH-60/30 mid side
stereo setup I also use. Which I use depends on the site I wish to
record and the purpose of the recording. For surveying single callers I
tend toward the Telinga. The MKH-60/30 I use for a sort of midrange
calls and ambiance setup. For even closer in or wider coverage I turn to
the SASS/MKH20 most of the time. There's really no mic which can do it all.

Separate from mic type, the Sennheiser is a much better mic than the
Mineroff has. I would agree it's more bang for the buck in that sense.