Re: Sony announces more Hi-MD recorder models

Subject: Re: Sony announces more Hi-MD recorder models
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:01:29 -0800 (PST)
Re: the new HiMD decks,

> attractive as alternatives to MP3 players like the iPod.  All the new
> Sony models include MP3 playback.  Various models include 1.5 inch

They will also *record* MP3s at 128kbps, though that wouldn't be very
attractive to us -- though you could fit 7-8 hours I guess on one $7 HiMD
blank that way. :)

Incidentally I noticed one change is that the 2nd gen HiMD recorders do
NOT record in the "old" MD modes, only in HiMD modes -- if your main
interest is PCM recording (as mine is) this is not a big deal. They do
still play back all MD/NetMD/HiMD modes as well of course.

> I expect that the prices of current Sony recorders like the MZ-NH1,
> MZ-NH900 and MZ-NHF800 will fall in the next few weeks to clear out
> inventory before delivery of the new models begins.

Crutchfield is running a special, at the RAMPS usenet group there were
instructions for getting $40 off -- I contemplated getting a NH900 cheap
that way but do like the OLED display -- I think the battery life is
improved and they sure are pretty as a result.

One unexpected curiosity is that one of the new HiMD portables has a
built-in 1.3 megapixel camera to complement the color OLED display -- but
as it doesn't record audio it's a curiosity piece AFAI'm concerned. A 1GB
disk would hold a lot of 1.3 mp images though!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |