Re: Couple of X-Y questions

Subject: Re: Couple of X-Y questions
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:03:48 -0500
From: Ken  Durling <>

> Until I can afford an M-S array or a Telinga, mostly I'm working with my=

> previously mentioned pair of CM-300s.  X-Y is what I know, so that's what=

> I'm doing for now.
>
> 1) Are there any references to windscreens to cover an X-Y setup?  most o=
> the zeppelins and fuzzies I'm seeing look like they're designed for eithe=
> a M-S or shotgun arrangement, i.e. tubular.  I'm imagining a triangular
> "zeppelin" for an X-Y, but perhaps there's another approach?

Best you could do with commercial setups is to put the two mics in
separate suspensions/zepplins and try and get them as close as possible.
Perhaps one over the other.

Otherwise you are in the same boat I am with a pair of long shotguns I
have. It's a DIY project. I plan on building a "zeppelin" about like you
are talking about for it. Probably using the latch hook mesh. Machine up
a suitable suspension. All still in the planning stages. Experimenting
with materials and methods so I can build something that will work well.

> 2) Any suggestions for what else I can do with 2 mics?  I was thinking of=

> possibly piggybacking an omni and  cardioid-capsuled mic for a sort of
> pseudo M-S - and trying different distances between the two capsules - an=
> theoretical comments on this idea?

That won't make a M/S. If you have two omni's there are a few possibles.
Jeklin disc, or maybe mount them in a sass. The disc is cheap to make,
the sass housing will cost a little.

Or you get into two spaced omni's. Not a hand held game.