Re: Nature recording 101

Subject: Re: Nature recording 101
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:20:44 -0600
At 8:54 PM +0000 2/25/05, Rich Peet wrote:
>--- In  Walter Knapp <>

<snip>

>>  As a internal baffle the corrugated paper element may possibly have a
>>  advantage over standard straight layers, I don't have enough info to
>>  tell. I do not think it all that viable as a outer layer.
>>

>I think so.
>
>>  > We have a lot of good people here with a lot of good windshields.=A0
>>  > But this is a very small group and growing very slow.
>>
>>  It would be nice to see more of those designs in photo form.
>>  Particularly ones that folks make and use over the long term. Though
>>  even ones that turned out to not be so hot are interesting to check out=
.

>Agreed I always enjoy seeing home made stuff.
>For me trying to do some good multi-channel recording costs are
>quickly multiplied for me. With my very limited budget I need to spend
>what I have on just getting to the field.  I just found a 30 year old
>RV with 75,000 original miles for $1,500 and can not even pop for
>that.  I would love to turn an rv into a natural sound recording studio.
>

>>  Walt
>>

>Rich

The variety of approaches taken and reported upon
is one of the things I enjoy most about this
list.  Sometimes, I find myself wishing that I
could access people's field results (sound files,
pictures, other data) separately from the
atttudes, goals and assumptions made.. Other
times, I'm mostly curious about the desires and
limitations behind the excursions people are
planning or the recordings they have offered us
to hear. Form and content won't separate into the
tidy categories that I find my self trying to
create in my life and in the discussions.

It seems like the resolutions we do reach often
bring us back to the places where each of us has
succssfully married the two. A beautiful thing to
witness.  When we try to forge a "purely
technical" discussion, the string can trend
towards "sides" that aren't really there. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department