Re: Nature recording 101

Subject: Re: Nature recording 101
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:28:14 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> I never said that.
> I have hundreds of hours experimenting with different designs and
> most are in the trash. I have shared some good stuff that didn't go
> there.

That's where a lot of my designs end up too. I rarely mention things
that did not work. Even some that work I won't mention as that too can
be a hassle. Witness mentioning that I use MKH mics and commercial wind
protection systems and what that got me.

If it's a crime in these parts to use top notch equipment that works
very well, then I'm guilty. And I have no remorse about it at all.

> I did post a recommendation that can be made in a few hours and does
> work well and does cost next to nothing.  This was based on a lot of
> work and prototypes and I still feel a corragated design is better
> than any made today, but no I am not going to rehash that.

A while back now, I tried three different models of shop vac filters,
and one model of hot tub filter (it's longer, so matches shotguns
better). Similar to yours and with variations. A few comments, take them
as you wish, I've moved on:

The corrugated outside, sharp edges on ends, and kitchen strainers all
make noise in the wind as they induce turbulence. You can find a
direction in the wind where this will be the lowest, but a one direction
windscreen is not useful. To work well, to my mind, this design must be
covered with fur or whatever. Check out Marty's comments on smooth airflow.

I destroyed one filter in a moment while walking through the brush. One
twig caught it. Filter paper is not the most durable thing. Yes, it's
cheap to get another filter, but it costs time and can only be done
where there are stores carrying them.

I noticed changes in the polar patterns as a result, primarily, of the
support structure of the filters. They form a barrier disk. Only way for
this to be fairly well avoided is with a omni held vertically in a long
enough filter. You'll still get some reflection from the end, but it's
tolerable.

The structure is quite large. Bigger even than my M/S MKH-80 pair in
it's Rycote stereo windscreen. One of these would not fit in the bin in
which I carry all three of my M/S setups with their windscreening.
Whatever advantage it might have over the commercial windscreening may
be simply due to the much larger size.

As a internal baffle the corrugated paper element may possibly have a
advantage over standard straight layers, I don't have enough info to
tell. I do not think it all that viable as a outer layer.

> We have a lot of good people here with a lot of good windshields.
> But this is a very small group and growing very slow.

It would be nice to see more of those designs in photo form.
Particularly ones that folks make and use over the long term. Though
even ones that turned out to not be so hot are interesting to check out.